Sunday, August 27, 2017

Something new, something old

Day 2 of this adventure started with a delicious breakfast of eggs benedict lovingly and expertly prepared by my sister.  With a full tummy and a loaded car, I took off down the mountain and through the sleepy town of Burnsville. Instead of taking the main roads, I decided to let the GPS (what did we ever do before GPS's, anyone remember Trip Tiks?) take me through the mountains.  It was absolutely breathtaking going on those curvy roads, through small towns, the largest of which was Banner Elk.  It was just incredible as God's handiwork passed by and I listened to contemporary Christian music on the radio.  It all fit together perfectly.  It struck me that it seems that all the roads parallel streams through the mountains as though God laid the path for man to follow.  Hmmm, sounds like there is a sermon in there someplace.

I arrived in Damascus, VA about thirty minutes before I was to eat (again) with a friend who used to live in Columbia, his wife and two teenagers.  We ate at a little restaurant right net to the bike rental shop that was to be the start of today's adventure.


We had a good visit, talked of work, health care in 2017 and, oh by the way, how he had handled his son being born with a fatal genetic disorder and how he handled it.  It is astounding to me that loss and grief are universal but how one deals with it is so very individual and personal.  There is no cookie cutter "right way" to grieve.  Another piece of information that I have known in my head and over the past few months have experienced it settling into my heart.

After "brunch" we said our goodbyes and I went about renting my bicycle and waited for the shuttle to take our group up the mountain in preparation for our 17 mile trek down the Virginia Creeper.  While waiting I got to talking with a young couple from Winston Salem, NC.  They were friendly, warm and invited me to join them on the way down.


Terrible at selfies


Ready to ride!  Not quite as bad as my young Ron Boy Scout pic... but close!
(private joke)

I felt kind of bad, almost like they felt obligated since we had struck up a conversation.  But they actually seemed happy to have a old guy hang out with them and were genuinely interested in what I was trying to accomplish on this trip.  We talked about the Lord and they were so excited about the church they belong to and how it is growing.  They encouraged me to listen to their pastor's podcasts.  Although I took their picture for my failing memory, I didn't want to post it without their consent.  Suffice it to say, they were one of the highlights of the creeper.

Gods handiwork was the main highlight of the trip.  Since I am not very good with my camera.....yet, I am posting some pics that I took on automatic.  One of my goals is that by the end of this trip I will be much more proficient in the intricacies of a  DSLR.



Cute little store along the way with some of the history of the creeper.  Debbie would have LOVED this part.  Riding a bike for 2 or 3 hours...not so much.





Beautiful landscape and babbling brooks

After finishing the creeper, the sweet couple even invited me for ice cream but I had to move on so my Roanoke hosts wouldn't be inconvenienced.  The ride to Roanoke was as beautiful as I remember it.  But once I got off the interstate, it didn't look at all familiar.  It has been 20 years since I was here!  When we lived here and would travel back to SC, we always stopped in Statesville, NC because that was the furthest north Bojangles.  Now they have Bojangles right here in Roanoke!

I arrived at my hosts' house about 7:30 and they greeted me with a delicious plate of spaghetti and a salad.  Yum!  This couple have a son who was diagnosed with cancer at 10 years of age when I was working here.  He is now working for Campus Crusade for Christ.  In fact, the reason I am staying with his parents is that several months ago he found me on Facebook and, when I decided on doing this trip, he told me that his parents were insistent that I stay with them during my visit.

After dinner we had some great conversation about M and his cancer diagnosis and what a life changing experience it was for the whole family.  How he and his siblings were walking with the Lord and how God has blessed their whole family.  M's dad (M Sr) talked of how we seek God's face when we face trials but so easily can fall into a casual relationship with our Creator and Savior when things are going well.  How true that is.  Here's to going deeper and staying deeper.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day. Thanks for the update and the beautiful pics! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bojangles in Roanoke?!?!? Mind is blown! And no, the bicycle picture is not even comparable to the boy scout picture! Love you!

    ReplyDelete