Thursday, August 31, 2017

Burgess Falls State Park

Got up early this morning to get to Sparta, TN for another hike.  It was about a four hour ride and I was concerned that weather forecast was calling for rain starting around 3pm.  But changing time zones gave me an extra hour.  It rained on and off during the drive and I started to think I might have to do something indoors.  My sister had said that Oak Ridge, TN was very interesting but, when looking it up online, you have to have a federally approved ID in order to get in.  Well of course, SC driver's licenses aren't approved yet and I didn't have my passport so I kept on.

I arrived at the park about noon central time and stopped at the office to get that all important trail map (with phone number) and make sure that I would be able to get in a hike before 3pm.  The ranger assured me that I would so off I went.  The first thing I noticed is that I was out of the mountains and back into the humidity.  This trail was very well demarcated if not a bit slick from rain the night before.  There are four water falls on the hike and you walk down to see them.  The first couple were "cute" and the last couple, especially the last one were magnificent, not Niagara Falls, but beautiful just the same.  At the last one, you were able to walk down a "strenuous" hike and stand beside the falls as the water rushed beside you and over the precipice.  The roar of the falls along with the sound of crickets along the way were God's music to my ears.  A young couple from Nashville were there and I offered to take their picture and they kindly took mine.  Funny how people enjoying nature are friendly and in a good mood! 


I finished the hike, fixed myself some lunch (pretty much the same lunch as yesterday) and ate at one of the picnic tables by the parking area.  After some time of prayer and thinking, I got in my car and, lo and behold, it started raining!  Perfect timing.


On the way to my Airbnb residence for the night, I heard the Chris Tomlin song, Home, on the radio.  It is a song about heaven and made me think about Debbie and what a great time she is having (and how much I miss her).  I thought about the progression of the falls from small to amazing and that's how our walk should be.  We start as baby Christians and, as God works on us, we get better and better.  I pray that over these next weeks He does some major work on me.  I am praying for more faith, more reliance on Him, just simply more Jesus.  I know I have a long way to go.

I am posting pics but the videos don't show up here.  You can see them on FB
Nice well defined trail

One of the smaller falls

Selfie in front of the medium seized fall

Another selfie, point to the waterfall in case you missed it

Not for an F3 guy!!

Don't slip!

Panoramic view of the big one

More of the big one

More of the big one

Downstream
I
Another cute cottage to stay in, even nicer!

Cute inside, Debbie would have loved it


1 comment:

  1. What an awesome hike! A+ for the selfie improvement. Love you!

    ReplyDelete