Monday, September 4, 2017

Nashville

Nashville, Tennessee, the Music City.  This is another stop on this journey that I have never visited, well at least not in my adult life.  I did come through on my way to visit my sister's when she lived in Texas but I never "did' Nashville.

The ride was a little troublesome as it was raining pretty hard  and there was a lot of traffic on Friday afternoon.  But I got here safe and sound and found my Airbnb.  This time it was a room in a house, not a private little cottage.  But my host was terrific, the room was clean and the bed comfortable so for what more could you ask?  It was right near Lipscomb University which is a small (~4000 students) private Christian school.  So the neighborhood was safe as well.

As I mentioned, I was concerned about being in a city and being more lonely.  There were definitely times when I really missed Debbie and her companionship.  I still take pause anytime I pass a thrift store or a sign for an antique mall or flea market.  But also, I don't know if you are aware, but many country songs are ballads and a LOT of them are about love, and often, love lost (along with your job, your truck and your dog).  Now, most are not about the death of a spouse, but, as with many times in life, interpretation of what you hear, read or see can be altered by circumstances.  There were many times I would tear up when a song bemoaned the loss of the songwriter's girlfriend or wife.  I don't see that going away anytime soon.  But there is a simple emotional equation, the greater the love, the greater the grief.

Back to Music City.  Friday night I went down to Broadway.  Now this is a very touristy area with wall to wall establishments that offer up live music and adult beverages.  And I must say, there was a lot of consumption of both.  Every little place I went the bands were great, the singers sang well, the guitarists, drummers, fiddlers all were excellent, not "karaokeish".  It would seem that country musicians  come to Nashville just like actors go to LA, to get discovered! 

The other side of Broadway has to do with the adult beverages.  As I said, there was  lot of consumption.  And unbeknownst to me prior to my visit, Nashville is the US capital for bachelorette parties.  There were countless groups of young women going from bar to bar, usually with themed costumes or headwear, one of whom wore a sash that said "bride to be" or "the future Mrs. (you fill in the blank).  As a father of four girls I was seriously concerned about these young girls.  They obviously consumed way too much alcohol based on their gait and their actions.  And there were many young men around who looked like foxes in the hen house.  I just pray that girls don't put themselves into situations they will regret later on.

Yesterday I enjoyed watching the South Carolina vs. NC State game on TV.  I had tickets to the Grand Ole Opry so I had to leave in the 4th quarter so I would have time to eat before a 7pm performance.  I went to a BBQ place and got to see the end of the game, a typical Carolina nail biter.  I had stopped going to games several years ago because Debbie didn't like to go and I didn't like the amount of time they took away from our weekends together.  So this was another first, first football game without us in our recliners watching together :-(. 

The GOO was quite a place.  It had been severely damaged in the floods several years ago but was entirely rebuilt in six months.  I was not familiar with any of the performers.  They had an older singer whom I think country music fans might recognize who hosted and performed for each half hour of the two hour show.  And in their half hour they would have young talent who were also very good.  All in all, it was a very entertaining evening.

Today I went to the Country Music hall of Fame.  I took the audio tour which I would not recommend as everything the tape discussed was on the reading material at the exhibits.  I was not surprised how little of the old country music I knew but enjoyed seeing all the costumes, guitars, mandolins and other memorabilia.  I learned that Bob Dylan of the 60's and 70's did a bunch of country and worked with Johnny Cash in Nashville.  This was news to me but after knowing this and listening to some of his songs, it was apparent I just wasn't listening for the country sound.  They also had lots of old video.  There was even one of Dolly Parton before she had enhanced her image!  All in all the hall of fame was worth seeing.

I then walked the seven or so blocks to this little park in front of the courthouse.  There they had a free concert that had initially been planned for the whole weekend but it got rained out.  They had food trucks and vendors.  There were four bands in the time I was there but certainly the highlight of the show was Sheryl Crowe.  And it was all for free!  That little park was packed and Sheryl put on a first class concert including hits like "let's give them something tot talk about", "strong like a man" and several more with which I was familiar.  She is a gifted musician playing multiple instruments and a great performer connecting so well with the audience.  My host even met me there and we Ubered home together.

I had fun in Nashville but it was less a time for reflection and more "doing".  Many times I wished I had Debbie with me to share the experiences although there were several that I know were not her cup of tea.  Still Sundays are difficult days.  September 3rd is 25 weeks since Debbie took her last breath and, most of the time, I'm still trying to catch mine.

I didn't post any pics since they are all on FB.

Off to Little Rock!
                               

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! Allyson & I saw Sheryl Crow in concert years ago. She was really good. Glad to be coming along in your journeys. Love you.

    ReplyDelete