Saturday, September 16, 2017

Hanging Lake, Independence Pass, Wyoming, South Dakota

Wednesday, September 13, I went on an unscheduled excursion.  Julie and Paul had told me that one of their favorite hikes was three hours west of Denver, near Glenwood Springs, CO.  So I decided to go there.  Now this may not seem like a big deal.  On this trip, I have discovered my inner flexible, impulsive self.  I have never really been a spur of the moment kind of person but I believe God is showing me how to lighten up and that the schedule isn't as important as the experience.  It's much easier to do when you're in the retirement season of life, at least for now.  Many have warned me that I'll be busier than when I worked.  That's hard to believe but we'll see.

The ride to Hanging Lake was pretty, going through the mountains on "The 70" as Julie called it and Interstate 70 as I would call it!  I was warned to get there before 9am because the parking lot fills up quickly.  I arrived at 9:30 and there were plenty of parking spaces.  There was a short walk along the Colorado River and then the trail took off into the mountain.  The hike was strenuous, 1000 ft rise in elevation in a one way 3/4 mile hike not to mention the lake was at over 7,000 ft, so the air was pretty thin for this 65 year old sea level dweller!  Thanks to F3 step ups and squats my quads were up to the task.

The lake and rock-spouting waterfall were absolutely gorgeous, as good as advertised.  I stayed there for about an hour eating a sandwich, drinking water and reading my bible.  I was reading Psalm 78 and it was so cool.  The beginning talks about remembering God's goodness and faithfulness when we fall upon hard times.  It is so easy to forget how he has blessed me in the past while struggling with loss and grief.  Then came verses 19-20 "They spoke against God; they said, “Can God really spread a table in the wilderness?  True, he struck the rock, and water gushed out, streams flowed abundantly, but can he also give us bread? Can he supply meat for his people?”  God not only supplied water, but manna and meat.  He supplies all our needs according to His riches and glory.(from Phillipians 4:19).  Whenever I feel hopeless I need to remember the rock water spout.
 

                                                                                                         
 After the hike, I found my Airbnb, went to dinner and was so tired I couldn't even go to the hot springs in town which is where Glenwood Springs got its name. 
 
The following day I decided to take a long drive up to Aspen, through the Independence Pass which is part of the western continental divide.  All of the water west of the divide flows eventually into the Pacific Ocean and all the water east of it into the Atlantic.  The landscapes were beautiful and the aspen leave were changing so they shone bright yellow amongst the evergreens.  There were some neat small mountain towns like Leadville that looked like something out of the 1800's.  I arrived at Julie's in time for dinner and my last night with her family.  It was such a great stay with them.
 
Yesterday I drove up to a place call Vedauvoo in Wyoming.  It is a large rock formation in the middle of a flat expanse of land.  The rocks were beautiful and inviting so I had to do some climbing.  Pics are on Facebook if you are interested.  I had intended to go to Devil's Tower but didn't realize it was over five hours from Vedauvoo to Sundance where I spent the night.  So I got on the I25 and drove....and I drove....and I drove.  Eastern Wyoming is flat, brown and windswept.  The mountains off to the west were pretty and I could watch as storms traversed the horizon.  On this northern prairie, there were cows, sheep, antelope and oil rigs with occasional houses peppered along the way.  To accommodate snow storms there are signs that warn drivers that if its lights are blinking one must exit the highway as it is closed.  The same signs were in the Rockies.  These are things we just don't see in SC.
 
The Airbnb I stayed at last night was owned by an older couple who were so sweet and kind.  They even provided eggs, toast and coffee for breakfast, a nice surprise as this is not a routine in Airbnb's.  It got down to 32 degrees last night and has been in the 40's all day today.  I said good bye to Wyoming and rode down to South Dakota's Custer State Park.  I learned (or relearned) that this is not where Custer's last stand was, that was in Montana!  Anyway I went on the scenic drive through the park but its effect was dampened, so to speak, by thick fog and 45 degree drizzle.  I did get to see buffalo, donkeys, antelope and prairie dogs.
 
Today was the first day that my mood was about as lousy as the weather.  I just really missed Debbie a lot and felt very lonely.  But that's one of the main reasons for this journey.  To feel the loss, deal with the loneliness and realize that I can get through it.  I thank God for His provision through this time of transition.                                                         
 

3 comments:

  1. It's just so cool to hear/see all the different landscapes (and landscapes of life) that you are discovering on this trip. We miss you on this side of the country but are so happy and proud of your strength! Love you so much! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with B-dat. So hard to imagine you driving through places like Wyoming and South Dakota...but love that you are doing it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this beautiful part of the country. Glad you can take us along your journey. See you soon! Love you.

    ReplyDelete